- "Before embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. One for the fool and one for all those pesky relatives."
- ―Dread Emperor Vindictive the First
Vindictive the First was a former Dread Emperor of Praes. He rose to power following the interregnum that occurred after the death of Dread Empress Maledicta II, and he was presumably the predecessor of Dread Emperor Nihilis as the same Warlock served under both of their reigns.
“Before embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. One for the fool and one for all those pesky relatives.”
– Dread Emperor Vindictive the First
“Alas, though your jest was cutting this axe is even sharper.”
– Dread Emperor Vindictive
“And on your grave we shall have inscribed: he was witty all the way into the tiger pit.”
– Dread Emperor Vindictive 
“The trick is to always invite an unrelated highborn idiot to every council. When you inevitably execute them, all the other highborn idiots will behave for the rest of the discussion.”
– Dread Emperor Vindictive I