The Watch protect the Deoraithe from invasion and orcish raids. They were formed to one day reclaim their homeland, the Golden Bloom, from the elves. They have existed in one form or another for over a millennium.
The Watch use ritual oaths to become more powerful by making a connection with their gestalt and tapping into set patterns. Members of the Watch with less than five oaths are not typically sent out of Daione.
The Watch are expert longbowmen.
The Watch gain their supernatural abilities from their connection with a gestalt god made from the souls of every Deoraithe that has died since leaving the Golden Bloom.
Members of the watch gain strength and speed, as well as night vision, accelerated reflexes, superior endurance and an extended lifespan.
- Book 3 - Chapter 25: Intent “The Watch has guarded the Wall for a long time, Duchess Foundling, but that is not what it is meant for,” she replied. “The border being quiet allows us to tend to an older duty.”
There was fervour in her voice, by the time she finished speaking. The Deoraithe hate the elves.
- Book 2 - Chapter 12: Reproval
- Book 3 - Chapter 48: Interrogation Twenty thousand Deoraithe had marched out of Daoine, a quarter of them Watch
- Book 3 - Chapter 25: Intent “She finished her oaths last year,” the Duchess said. “The entire Watch was mobilized to put down the madwoman in the south. An unexpected turn of events, that Daoine would share an enemy with you, but not entirely unwelcome.”
- Book 4 - Chapter 14: Arabesque
- Book 3 - Chapter 48: Interrogation “It is not a god in the way Praesi would know of it,” she said. “It is a gestalt.”
“Souls,” he said.
“Every single one of the People that have died since the elves took the Golden Bloom from us,” she said. “Millions, by now.”
- Book 3 - Chapter 25: Advance